Gardener's calendar: basic gardening in the fall
Autumn work at the summer cottage is important for both plants and humans. It is at this time that the hot season of harvesting, laying it for storage, and processing of fruits comes. In the fall, the prospect of a future harvest should be felt. If fruit trees and flowers overwinter well, then in spring they will begin to develop and grow effectively.
As soon as autumn comes, it is time for summer residents to work intensively. You need to take care of what is grown during the summer. It takes a lot of time to preserve fruits and vegetables. But the plants of the garden, vegetable garden also require attention and care. The importance of the autumn work is undoubted, but you need to distribute your affairs so clearly so as not to forget the main thing.
- Work at the summer cottage in September
- What work in the garden and garden needs to be done in October
- Preparing the garden for the winter cold in November
September is a favorite month for gardeners, it shows how well they did their job in the summer. Every day you need to plan so that you have time to do everything:
- It is necessary to pick apples and pears of late autumn varieties when they are easily separated from the stalk, painted in a color characteristic of a particular variety. Harvesting is done in dry weather. The fruits are removed carefully, without pressure, then they will last for a long time. The crop is immediately sorted and placed in cardboard boxes or wooden boxes. It is best to sprinkle apples and pears dry. sawdust.
- Rotten fruits and old branches are destroyed without leaving them in the garden.
- It is also necessary to feed apple trees and pears immediately, without postponing until later. Up to five kilograms are brought under each tree organic fertilizers... Ten grams of potash will be enough, and forty grams per square meter of superphosphate. The introduction of minerals will help the trees survive the winter, enter the next year with renewed vigor.
- For berry bushes - currants, gooseberry - you need to dig up the soil and introduce organic and mineral fertilizers... It is better to dig aisles of bushes with a pitchfork.
- For remontant strawberries prepare a solution of mullein in a ratio of 1:15 or bird droppings - 1:30. They add a little to it ash... It is better to introduce nutrient substrates into the grooves located along the plantings.
- For grapes the best fertilizer will be manure, which is applied during digging of the soil at a rate of six kilograms per square meter.
- It is also necessary to spray garden trees and shrubs with a solution, for the preparation of which they take five hundred grams of urea and seven hundred grams of potassium chloride in a bucket of water. The procedure will help protect plants from fungal diseases, pest attacks: aphids, spider mite.
- On sunny days, you can whitewash tree trunks.
- At the end of the month, trees are pruned, removing dead and old branches. Cut currant cuttings can be planted in the ground, leaving two buds on them.
- Stems raspberries tied and bent to the ground so that they do not break under the influence of snowdrifts.
- Watering of the garden is carried out starting from the first days of September. You can determine the degree of moisture by digging a hole forty centimeters deep. Taking a lump of earth from there, squeeze it in your hand. If it remains dense, does not crumble, then watering must be stopped.
- Planting work is carried out in the garden garlic for winter. The cloves are sealed to a depth of six to eight centimeters, sprinkled with humus on top. And the beds with parsley, salad, dill, cover with a foil with basil so that the greens stay fresh longer.
- In the last days of September, the bulbs of gladioli are dug up, placed in a well-ventilated room for drying. They will need to dry out within a month.
- In the same period, slaked lime is added on acidic soils.
Work in September is considered the most important for preparing plants for next spring and for storing the harvest of fruits and berries.
The middle of autumn in the garden is marked by abundant leaf fall, so all efforts should be directed to cleaning, because it is in the old foliage that insects - garden pests - remain to winter. Branches, brown leaves are raked into heaps and burned. Part of the foliage is laid in compost pits, from where humus will be taken to fertilize garden plants in spring.
Main works in October:
- Until mid-October, you can plant apple trees, pears, plums, currant, gooseberry, cherry... Saplings will have time to get stronger before winter, and harden in winter. To prevent young shoots from freezing, they are spudded thirty or forty centimeters in height.
- If at the beginning of October winter varieties of apples and pears were harvested, then the trees are watered abundantly, using three to four buckets for each instance. And currants, gooseberries, strawberries can be sprayed with hot water. This will help the plants withstand frost damage.
- In October, work continues with bulbous and tuberous flowering plants. Dug out dahlias, gladioli... Planted tulips, hyacinths.
- For perennial flowers, shelters are prepared for the winter. Faded inflorescences, leaves are removed from roses, hydrangeas, rhododendrons, and the bushes are wrapped with a protective film. It will help keep flowers from freezing and a layer of fallen leaves, poured on the planting of ornamental shrubs.
- They dig up the garden land, bringing in ash, manure, mineral fertilizers... Digging depth should be at least thirty centimeters. Manure is applied in areas where it will grow potatoes... The beds prepared for vegetables are covered with a film so that with the melting of the snow it warms up faster.
- Berry bushes are prepared for winter by covering them with a layer of tops, straw or manure. Before sheltering, the branches are bent to the ground. The vine is pruned, removing the unripe part. Then the shoots are untied from the stakes and laid in trenches, sprinkled with a layer of humus twenty centimeters, and then with earth. Can be replaced with humus wood shavings. It is imperative to check its condition before laying the vine. It must be dry, otherwise the shoots will die.
The main task of the gardener in October is planting fruit trees and berry bushes, preparing plants for the winter period.
In many regions, November comes with frost and snow. Therefore, it is better when the preparation of the summer cottage for winter conditions should be completed by the first days of November:
- If the weather permits, the summer resident will need to finish what he did not have time to finish - to cover berry bushes, perennial flowers, fertilize, and transplant trees.
- Pruning fruit trees can also be done in November, removing dry and diseased shoots. Removal of excess growth is also a necessity. At the same time, the sections are cleaned and disinfected with a solution of copper sulfate. And with a large cutting area - with a garden pitch.
- In grafted fruit trees, the pegs are replaced with higher ones, loosening the binding material at the grafting site. At the same time, cuttings are harvested, which will be used for grafting.
- Working with perennial flowers involves trimming the aerial part. For phlox, aconite, echinacea, the stems are cut by ten centimeters, and for the rest, hemp can be 2-3 centimeters. Sow for the winter lupine, calendula, cosme.
- Warming of rose bushes begins when the air temperature stops at minus eight. Fruit trees are strapped using roofing felt or nylon tights. This will save apple and pear trees from rodents. Hares will not approach trees if they are tied with the paws of coniferous trees. In this case, the needles should point down.
- November sunny weather will allow to finish sanitary pruning of plants, digging of near-trunk circles. Around plants that do not tolerate frost, lay a layer of mulch using dry leaves or tree bark.
- November is the best time to mow your lawn. The grass will not have time to grow back before the onset of cold weather, and then freeze out. At the same time, you can sow the bald areas of the lawn, since the insects will not have time to destroy them.
- The preparation of an artificial reservoir consists of the procedure for freeing it from water. Most of it is drained, and logs or plastic bottles filled with water are placed on the bottom. Deep ponds are cleared of foliage, plants in pots are transferred to a warm place. In a deep pond, fish can survive the winter under a thick layer of ice.
The last month of autumn will make it possible to completely complete all work in the garden and calmly wait for next spring.
More information can be found in the video: