What is Jerusalem artichoke, how is it useful and to whom is it contraindicated?
Jerusalem artichoke - This is a vegetable that everyone has heard about, but not everyone knows how it is useful. In addition to excellent taste, the fruit has medicinal properties that help to cope with various diseases. It is recommended for use as an ingredient for cooking, as well as for use in cosmetology and traditional medicine. But before use, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the collection and storage rules in advance, as well as identify contraindications.
- Jerusalem artichoke - what is it and what does it look like?
- Composition and useful properties of Jerusalem artichoke
- Application in traditional medicine + recipes
- Jerusalem artichoke in cosmetology + recipes
- Cooking applications + recipes
- Harm and contraindications
- How to collect Jerusalem artichoke correctly?
- Jerusalem artichoke storage methods
Jerusalem artichoke is a plant that tends to live for more than one year. It belongs to the Astrov family because of its flower, which is on a high stem and looks like a chamomile. The shrub survives harsh winters well and can grow in any uncomfortable conditions.
For consumption or as a component for recipes, only Jerusalem artichoke root vegetable is used. If you do not dig it out of its familiar place, it will not lose its medicinal qualities, but will only increase in volume. The bush was brought to Russia from North America in the 18th century. Jerusalem artichoke, earthen pear or tuberous sunflower.
In appearance, the root vegetable resembles the rhizomes of ginger, and in terms of taste, many put it next to an apple or potato with a sweetish aftertaste.
The ground stem tends to stretch 1.5-4 meters, ending in a sunny flower. At the base of the plant, there are numerous leaf plates arranged alternately. The leaf plates have a rough surface with a small prickly pile. The stem is powerful, capable of withstanding even the strongest winds and piercing drafts.
The root part has a powerful structure, on which tubers of the product of the same name are formed like clusters. They are oblong in shape, often of different color in appearance. In total, about 300 different plant species are grown, including hybrid varieties. They are suitable for human consumption and pet food. Also, some gardeners grow the plant as a decorative decoration of their personal plot. In Russia, most often you can find only 2 varieties: Interest and Skorospelka.
Eating or making medicines on its basis has a beneficial effect on the human body. The plant contains a lot of various nutrients and a significant list of vitamins. The root vegetable is a dietary product used for diets by people trying to lose weight. Its calorie content is only 61 kcal per 100 g. product.
The list of useful substances includes such minerals and vitamins as PP, C, A, group B, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, iron. Amino acids and numerous organic acids are present.
For its medicinal properties, earthen pear is more valuable than beets or potatoes.
For medicinal purposes, not only root crops are used, but also the foliage, as well as the stem. Such beneficial qualities take place due to the chemical composition of the plant.
The following useful qualities are distinguished that have a beneficial effect on a person:
- Has a beneficial effect on the digestive system, neutralizing discomfort, helping to cope with inflammation.
- It has a choleretic effect and has a positive effect on the gastric mucosa, restoring damaged areas.
- Tea, which contains Jerusalem artichoke, promotes the removal of accumulated moisture, which blocks the formation of edema of the lower extremities in the body, which occurs when the kidneys and heart muscle function improperly.
- If you regularly use the product, then there is a normalization of the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract.
- They remove toxic substances from the body, which tend to settle in the body of people permanently living in contaminated areas and territories. Thanks to this property, salts of heavy metals, cholesterol, and toxins are eliminated from the internal organs.
- It normalizes the work of the myocardium and helps to improve the blood flow rate in case of arrhythmia or atherosclerosis.
- Prolonged use of the product causes a decrease in blood pressure. Therefore, people suffering from hypotension.
- The beneficial effect of the substance is directed to the nervous system, which helps to normalize sleep, cope with stressful situations.
- The root crop is aimed at improving the production of hemoglobin, therefore it is recommended to include it in the diet as a prophylaxis for iron deficiency anemia.
- It has a significant effect on male potency, restoring male strength. It normalizes reproductive function.
Jerusalem artichoke has antioxidant properties due to the presence of various acids in it: raspberry, succinic, malic, fumaric. The list of components contains 8% silicon, which satisfies the daily requirement of this element for the body.
In addition, Jerusalem artichoke contains inulin, which helps maintain human vitality. This substance is not capable of increasing blood sugar. Due to this, the product is recommended for use primarily by patients suffering from diabetes mellitus.
Due to its medicinal properties, the plant has the ability to perform the following actions:
- Reduce blood sugar levels in a person's bloodstream.
- Improve blood circulation.
- Increase the protective function of the body.
- Prevents the development of mutated cells in the body.
- Improves the ability to perceive the outside world.
- Reduce the pH of the digestive organs.
- Block the development of joint pain.
With the help of Jerusalem artichoke, it is possible to treat such diseases as gastritis, diseases of the small intestine, enteritis, pancreatitis, colitis, stomach ulcers, duodenitis, as well as polyarthritis.
In diabetes mellitus, the use of Jerusalem artichoke is recommended as a preventive purpose, as well as for therapeutic effects in both types of disease: congenital and acquired. For the first type of patients, it is necessary to use it raw, as well as in the form of decoctions and fresh squeezed juice from root crops. A positive effect is possible only if the agent is used for a long period of time.
The video will introduce you to the useful properties of Jerusalem artichoke:
Inulin, which is in the composition of the root vegetable, has a beneficial effect on the state of glucose, reducing its levels in the blood. This effect is reflected in the well-being of the person.For diabetics, doctors prescribe to eat, boiled or raw roots before each meal for 15 minutes.
When treating joints, silicon is beneficial to the body, which is present in the product in sufficient volume. Therefore, the constant use of root vegetables can reduce painful discomfort in radiculitis and rheumatoid arthritis.
For treatment with folk remedies, it is recommended to use decoctions based on dried tubers or raw root vegetables. To prepare the substance, you will need to take 3-4 medium-sized tubers, after washing it out. Place them in a separate container, cover with cold water and boil for 20 minutes. After you need to strain the broth and let cool. Only chilled liquid is used for treatment.
Dried tubers are ground into powder or flour. A remedy made on the basis of Jerusalem artichoke helps with hypertension, cholecystitis, anemia and pancreatitis. This will require 6 tsp. powder, pour 1 liter. water and boil for 30 minutes. Drink the broth 3 times after meals for 1 tablespoon. within 7 days.
Due to the fact that Jerusalem artichoke contains many vitamins and nutrients, it is often used for cosmetic purposes. It actively affects the scalp and skin, improving their condition.
Jerusalem artichoke helps to regenerate damaged cells of the upper layers of the epidermis, evens out the color tone of the skin.
Its effect is aimed at normalizing the functioning of the sebaceous and sweat glands. In addition, it activates increased collagen production and actively fights skin rashes of various etiologies.
A distinctive feature of the plant is that the prepared healing substances on its basis are actively fighting against hair loss and dandruff. The product strengthens the hair follicles, promotes the growth of hair filaments and moisturizes their structure.
There are the following recipes used in cosmetology:
- In order for the hair to be manageable and beautiful, it is necessary to prepare a rinse aid - 4 tablespoons. sheet plates of the crushed type are poured into 1 liter. boiled water. You need to wait until the boiling water cools down, then strain and rinse the entire hair after each wash.
- To eliminate dandruff, rinse with Jerusalem artichoke juice and rub into the scalp;
- To prevent hair loss, it is worth pouring water over the leaf plates, boil for 3 hours over low heat. Then strain through several layers of gauze, and rub the resulting product into the scalp at least 3 times in 7 days.
- When peeling sensitive skin of the face, it is necessary to apply this kind of mask: 3 tbsp. the crushed product is combined with the yolk, mixed thoroughly. The resulting consistency is applied to the face for 20 minutes. With frequent inflammation, you must apply a mask: 4 tsp. chopped Jerusalem artichoke is combined with 0.5 tsp. lemon juice. The resulting product is applied to the skin of the face.
Thanks to the correct and systematic use, you can get silky and beautiful hair, as well as correct the appearance of the facial skin.
The root vegetable can be fried, boiled, eaten raw, dried and baked. Any recipes for making Jerusalem artichoke are similar to potatoes. But at the same time, when the product is subjected to heat treatment, it acquires specific taste qualities that vaguely resemble mushrooms.
The most commonly used fresh salad recipes for preparing an interesting root vegetable for nutrition are distinguished:
- Recipe number 1. You will need 2-3 root vegetables, 0.2 kg of white cabbage, 1 splinter of onions, pickled mushrooms no more than 3 tablespoons, lemon juice (1 tablespoon) and greens according to taste. All vegetables and herbs must be rinsed under running water.The cabbage is chopped into small pieces and kneaded with the help of hands, then lemon juice is introduced. An earthen pear should be passed through a grater with standard holes. Greens and onions are cut separately. All ingredients are combined with pickled mushrooms and mixed. It is necessary to eat the dish only freshly cooked.
- Recipe number 2. An earthen pear is taken in the amount of 2-3 roots, 2 pcs. carrots, 1 pickled cucumber, olive oil and herbs to taste. The greens are crushed, all other ingredients are finely chopped and mixed together. Salad is dressed with olive oil.
Thus, salads increase the patient's immunity in winter, replenish the supply of vitamins and nutrients. Helps prevent colds.
There is no categorical prohibition on the use of Jerusalem artichoke, but in some situations the product is not recommended to be consumed as food or for medicinal purposes. There are the following situations when it is worth refraining from using an earthen pear-based product:
- Individual intolerance to the product or its constituent components.
- People suffering from increased flatulence.
Do not overuse the introduction of the product into the body. Otherwise, you can provoke a deterioration in the general condition, cause nausea, vomiting and headache.
Jerusalem artichoke is harvested before the onset of cold weather and a strong decrease in temperature. Tall stems with green foliage are cut separately, while it is necessary to leave hemp not exceeding 6-10 cm in height.
The foliage is separated from the stem and set aside. The stems are crushed and then dried in the shade, under a canopy. In winter, the dried product is used as an infusion for baths. If foliage is necessary for livestock feed, then hay must be prepared.
More information about Jerusalem artichoke can be found in the video:
Root crops are also dug up in autumn, but not in full. It is recommended not to uproot the part from the ground, but to leave it to restore the planting area in spring. Such cleaning is divided into 2 parts: one is collected in the fall and used in the winter, the second is recommended to be dug out in the spring to replenish the spent vitamins and nutrients. A distinctive feature of the spring harvest is that the tubers become tastier and much sweeter.
The only problem with growing and using Jerusalem artichoke is that it practically cannot be stored. If you dig up a product, then it is required either to dry it, or immediately eat it or for medicinal purposes in the form of decoctions. Short-term storage means that the internal composition of the product quickly loses its beneficial properties and vitamins. Therefore, it is recommended not to remove the root crop from the soil and save it until it is needed.
Some gardeners recommend, on the contrary, dig up the tubers and store them in a garage or basement in layers of hay.
This decision will be correct if the entire collected volume of the product is eaten after a short period of time. In another situation, the product can be stored on the lower shelf in the refrigerator, but for this, the root crop should be wrapped in a damp cloth and constantly make sure that it is wet. If there is not enough moisture, then the tuber will quickly deteriorate and will not be suitable for food or for use as medicinal purposes.
Thus, Jerusalem artichoke is a plant that is grown in household plots in the form of an ornamental bush, but also used as a remedy. It is also used in cooking and cosmetology. Its vitamins and nutrients have the ability to nourish the body after a long period of winter. The main thing is to properly assemble the product and store it so that all the nutrients remain in its composition.