Raw beets - composition, benefits and harms, application and storage rules
Beets are grown by many gardeners on their backyard. But many do not realize that this root vegetable can be used not only for consumption, but also as a medicine, as well as a substance that is intended for skin and hair care.
But before you start using it, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the effect of the product on the human body. Let's take a closer look at the beneficial and harmful properties of raw beets.
- Composition and useful properties of raw beets
- Calorie content and nutritional value of the product
- Can you eat raw beets every day?
- The use of raw beets in cooking + recipes
- The use of raw beets in medicine + recipes
- The use of raw beets in cosmetology + recipes
- Slimming beets + recipes
- Beet juice and its benefits
- How to drink beet juice correctly?
- Harm and contraindications of raw beets
- How to choose the right beets?
- The best varieties of beets and their features
- Storage methods and rules
The main feature of beets is that they have a rich chemical composition containing a significant list of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Also, the components are omega-3 fatty acids, essential acids, vitamins A, M, groups B, K, PP, E.
In addition, betaine, a nutrient for the liver, is present. The substance is endowed with macro- and microelements:
Useful video about the properties of beets:
The following useful properties of raw beets are distinguished:
- Organic acids and fiber stimulate the functioning of the intestines, normalizing the performance of its peristalsis, and normalizing metabolic processes. There is an increase in the rate and volume of gastric secretion, which leads to an improvement in appetite.
- It acts as a natural laxative, as well as a substance that stimulates the elimination of toxins, toxins, putrefactive bacteria. The withdrawal of radionuclides, other heavy substances and heavy metal salts, which tend to settle on the walls of blood capillaries, is also observed.
- Betaine is one of the positive components of beets. It has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the kidneys and liver. Its action is aimed at improving blood circulation. Eating beets daily affects the walls of blood vessels, leading to a decrease in blood pressure. A similar action affects the neutralization of the prerequisites for the occurrence of blood clots.
- When consumed regularly, beets have a positive effect on diseases of atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, vision problems and heart disease,preventing their occurrence or delaying the moment of their development.
- Natural vitamins and antioxidants help the body to cope with stressful situations, increase immune defenses. In addition, calcium acts on bones, helps to normalize the nervous system and normalize the structure of human muscle tissue.
Also, easily digestible carbohydrates contained in beets are able to charge human cells with energy. Which gives the patient the strength to carry out normal life. One of the important elements in the list of constituents of the root vegetable is the pigment betacyanin. It is endowed with the ability to resist the formation of cells that provoke the growth of malignant neoplasms.
The product is low in calories due to the fact that it has only 43 kcal. The beet contains only 0.17 gr. fats, proteins 1.61 g., as well as carbohydrates 9.56 g. dietary fiber is 22.8 grams. Ash is present in the root crop 1.08 gr.
It is best to eat raw beets; during cooking, vitamins C, B9 and 5 evaporate.
But all other ingredients remain in full. But also during heat treatment, the destruction of plant fibers of a solid base, such as fiber, which is especially difficult to digest, is observed. Therefore, if you boil beets, then it is allowed to be consumed by people also with stomach problems and diseases of the pancreas.
To get the positive effect of eating beets, a single dose is not enough. To achieve the expected result, you will need to introduce 50-70 grams into the diet every day. nutrient.
There is no way to eat a root vegetable in its raw form, therefore, a lot of useful recipes have been developed that help out and help treat various diseases with the help of raw beets.
Most often, raw beets are used to make salads. This is due to the fact that this method of obtaining nutrients by the body is the fastest. Moreover, such a serving is considered the most delicious.
There are several recipes used for eating raw beets for people of different ages:
- Carrot-beet salad - you should choose the ingredients: carrots, beets and onions in a ratio of 2 to 2 and 1 part of onion. Garlic is also introduced according to taste preferences. Beets and carrots must be peeled, and then grated with fine divisions or chopped into strips. The onion needs to be cut into half rings, and then sautéed in vegetable oil until the shade of the onion becomes transparent. Garlic, if introduced, will need to be chopped and added to the mass to the onion, when it is sautéed in a frying pan in vegetable oil. Simmer the ingredients for 30 seconds, stirring over the heat. The last step is to combine onions and vegetables. The prepared salad is salted, if necessary, pepper and sugar are added. Before using the salad, it is recommended to stand in a cool place so that it is nourished.
- Beet and nut salad. For the dish, you will need to purchase large beets, you need 0.1-0.2 kg of any nuts, 2 apples and a lemon. It is recommended to wash and peel all fruits and vegetables, then grate and add nuts to them, then pour all the juice squeezed from lemon. Additionally, you can season the salad with olive oil, and then add salt. If a person loves the aroma from garlic, then they can introduce a few cloves, crushed in a garlic press.
- A salad in a combination of radish and beet - both ingredients are the same size. It is recommended to buy a white radish, but you can also buy a black one. But before using the product, you should salt it in order to get rid of the specific bitterness. Both vegetables are grated and then mixed with sour cream, chives, finely chopped and salt.
Correct use of the product allows you to improve your own well-being and contributes to the better functioning of human internal organs and systems.
Red vegetable acts as an effective remedy in the fight against various diseases of the body. Especially significant is the remedy for diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
Features of the use of beets:
- When treating liver pathologies, it is necessary to eat at least 100-150 grams within 24 hours. raw beets. The main thing is to consume the product only on an empty stomach. In addition, beetroot juice combined with liquid from cucumber and carrots, which are mixed in equal proportions, is effective. The resulting product is recommended to be drunk before each meal, 20 minutes beforehand.
- For a therapeutic effect with angina, you should prepare 0.2 kg of grated beetroot mass. Then mix the resulting product with 10 ml of 9% table vinegar. Let stand for 2-4 hours for juicing. The resulting substance requires rinsing not only the oral cavity, but also the back wall of the larynx. Continue therapy is required until the signs of the disease disappear completely.
The red root vegetable does an excellent job of rejuvenating and cleansing the upper skin. Therefore, raw beets are often used to make various masks.
Masks made according to the correct recipe help moisturize the dry upper layers of the epidermis, normalize the functioning of the sebaceous glands:
- In some cases, the patient is recommended to maintain a normal state, experienced cosmetologists recommend combining a mashed mass of red vegetable and milk. All ingredients are taken in equal proportions. The resulting substance is required to wipe the skin. With daily care with such milk, a positive result will be noticeable in a few days.
- A rejuvenating beetroot mask with the presence of sour cream and yolk from a chicken egg is quite effective. To prepare the product, you will need 0.5 tbsp. pulp from a red root vegetable. The mixture is laid out on natural cotton fabric, in which special slots for the eyes and nose are made. After that, the cloth with the applied product is distributed over the face. In this form, the patient needs to sit for 1/2 hour. After the required time has elapsed, be sure to remove all remnants of the mask with warm running water. The main thing is not to exaggerate the capabilities of the mask. If you overexpose the recommended time, then after removal you can find a change in the shade of the skin. This is possible due to the coloring effect of the red root vegetable.
- If there is acne or acne on the skin, it is recommended to combine 3 tablespoons to get rid of the unsightly appearance and restore the normal structure of the face. grated raw beets with 1/2 tbsp. yogurt without additives. The resulting product is gently applied to the skin. The duration of applying the mask is 10 minutes, after which it is required to cleanse the skin from the mask with cool water.
Coloring fruit is not only effective in treating diseases or to eliminate an unpleasant appearance on the face, it also helps in the fight against getting rid of excess body fat. This is due to the fact that with daily consumption of a raw product in small volumes, intestinal cleansing is carried out.
To get a positive effect, you will need to follow the following diet:
- Eat root vegetable salad for breakfast.
- For lunch, add grated lean mass, without adding oil, as well as vegetable salad.
- For dinner, we recommend stewed vegetables in a pan and beetroot salad with the addition of additional ingredients.
In addition to eating a raw product, it is worth introducing 2-2.5 liters into the body. liquids.The only thing to adhere to such a diet should be no longer than 3 days. Then you need to take a break.
If a person consumes a daily liquid obtained from beets, then a large amount of nutrients enter the body. The exception is fiber.
The following beneficial properties of red root vegetable juice are distinguished:
- Lowers blood pressure readings.
- Normalizes the functioning of the kidneys and liver.
- Stimulates the cleansing of blood capillaries, blocks the formation of blood clots, lowers the level of cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- Used in throat therapy as a gargle. Reveals a positive effect due to bactericidal and anti-inflammatory action.
- In the event of anemia, it is recommended for treatment, as well as in the form of a prophylactic agent to normalize the patient's condition.
If a woman has a broken cycle, then the gynecologist may prescribe the use of beet juice. This effect allows you to regulate the menstrual cycle, and also helps to combat mastopathy and adapt the woman's body to the upcoming menopause.
Lack of fluid is the moment that the contained vitamins and microelements exceed the permissible norms necessary for the normal functioning of the body. Therefore, misuse of the product leads to negative and even aggressive effects on the body.
More information about the benefits of beetroot juice can be found in the video:
Therefore, you should adhere to certain rules when drinking juice in order to prevent an overdose of the active components of a bright root vegetable:
- Before injecting the liquid, you will need to defend it for 3 hours. During this moment in time, all compounds that have an aggressive influence have time to volatilize or decompose.
- The maximum possible volume per day should not be more than 600 ml., While it is allowed to inject up to 0.125 liters once.
- During the preparation of the liquid, care must be taken that the root crop is not cold. To obtain a quality product, the product needs room temperature.
- The best effect of the product as a remedy is obtained if the juice is drunk 1/4 hour before meals.
- It is recommended to start taking beetroot juice with small dosages. This is necessary to identify contraindications in the patient, as well as to identify the absence or presence of side effects.
In addition, you should not use the product at the same time as acidic foods, as well as baked goods or other products made from dough prepared with yeast.
Before starting treatment with a product, it is worth finding out what contraindications are and whether the product is capable of stimulating the occurrence of malfunctions in the body.
- You should know that beets in large quantities affect the intestines, weakens and provokes the formation of diarrhea.
- Also, a significant mass provokes vasospasm.
- It is forbidden to use the product of patients who show signs of gastritis and suffer from high acidity in the digestive organs.
- Beetroot for urolithiasis is highly discouraged. It tends to provoke the movement of salt stones formed in the ureter.
- It should also be avoided by people suffering from diabetes. This is due to the fact that the root vegetable contains a significant amount of sugars.
To choose a high-quality fruit saturated with nutrients, you should adhere to the following rules:
- Pay attention to the appearance of the fruit - it should be dense, the upper skin is not thick, without dents, rotten spots or visible damage.
- The shade of beets is a dark red tone with a purple tint, which indicates the presence of a significant amount of betaine.
- If there is an opportunity to examine the product at the cut, then the tone of the fruit should be even.A white middle or slight blotches of a specific shade indicate a supersaturation of the fruit with fertilizers or a variety of sugar-type beets or fodder.
If there is an opportunity to buy a fruit with herbs, then it is better to choose it than an old root vegetable. The condition of the leaf blades indicates the freshness of the beets, while the foliage has nutritional properties in some cases superior to the composition of the root crop.
Beetroot is a product widely used for growing by gardeners on their own backyards. There is a significant list of different varieties in terms of ripening and quality, discussed in the table.
|Variety, ripening period||Description|
|Bordeaux 237 (early)||Ripens in 99-120 days, is not afraid of frost. A medium-sized, rounded vegetable. The aftertaste is pleasant, sweet, the pulp is dark in color.|
|Modana (early)||Rounded shape, no rings in excellent shade. The tone of the fruit is burgundy, reaching 130-260 grams. Reaches the required size in 70-85 days.|
|Bohemia (early)||Taste qualities different from other varieties with a sweet aftertaste. The ripening period is 75-83 days. There is a resistance to the period of diseases. It is stored for a long period.|
|Gourmet (medium)||Readiness is achieved within 95 days from the moment of planting the seeds. Not afraid of cold weather. The fruits are recommended for the preparation of dishes, preparations, for fresh introduction into the diet.|
|Incomparable A 463 (medium)||An unpretentious variety, shows high yields. The fruits are large, round-flat in shape. The pulp is tasty, juicy, without the presence of light rings.|
|Boyarynya (middle)||The spherical shape of the fruit is high-yielding. Each root vegetable weighs up to 210-350 grams.|
|Renova (late)||It has a cylindrical shape, thin upper skin, violet-reddish pulp, with a characteristic aroma. The weight of one fruit can be up to 400 grams.|
|Matron Zedek (late)||Dark in color, has weak rings in the internal structure. Root crops are flat-round in shape. The volume reaches up to 0.3 kg. The fruits are well stored without losing their original qualities and appearance.|
|Citadela (late)||It has a medium length, cylindrical shape, light inside. Subject to the storage rules, it lasts until mid-May, while its appearance and internal composition are not subject to change.|
Therefore, before planting seeds for seedlings, you should initially get acquainted with all the variety and choose the right variety.
So that the root crop does not lose its original qualities, the basic requirements for storing the product should be adhered to:
|Storage method||Storage features|
|In the cellar||The root crop should be laid out on the floor in the form of a scattering, but before that, the room must be cleaned, swept up and disinfected. Also, if possible, you can lay out the beets in the form of a pyramid on the shelves.|
|In a box of sand||In this form, the root crop can be stored for 12 months. The sand prevents moisture from reaching the fruit, which prevents the aging process. Plastic containers and wooden boxes are also suitable.|
|In plastic bags||The only thing that needs to be done is to ensure that condensation does not form in the bags. Therefore, it is required to make holes around the entire perimeter and pour sawdust or mustard powder inside.|
|In a refrigerator||The duration of preservation in this way is limited: only 1.5-2 months.|
With proper and rational storage, the root crop will not lose its qualities and taste data.
Thus, raw beets are not only beneficial to the body when used correctly, but they can also provoke harm. Therefore, it is recommended to closely monitor the ongoing processes in the human body after using a product based on a red product. The main thing is to properly prepare the product according to the recipe and apply it in accordance with the recommendations.