Seeder for the lawn: the best models and recommendations for manufacturing
Not only the owners of large suburban areas think about the design of the site, but also summer residents with a small plot for a vegetable garden. The backdrop for cozy gazebos, luxurious flower beds, rockeries there will be a green lawn with thick, silky grass. But you need to place the grass on the lawn tightly in the form of a continuous carpet. And this process is difficult to carry out manually. Therefore, lawn seeders come in handy here.
Any type of green lawn in front of the house will decorate the territory, because children can play on it, adults can relax after work. It is best to break up a green lawn in the sun by sowing it with a mixture of specially selected herbs. But first, the site is dug up, leveled, rolled. After a month and a half, the lawn is sown with herbs. To facilitate the procedure, you will need a special seeder.
- Lawn seeder - what is it, what is its purpose?
- Rules for using the device
- Manual and mechanical seeder - what's the difference, which one is better?
- Review of the best models of lawn seeders
- How to make the unit yourself?
It is difficult to evenly sow the lawn in front of the house with grasses, so the seeder will cope with this work better. The unit is a device that evenly distributes seeds over the area, as well as spreading fertilizer. There are several types of equipment, the choice of which depends on the area of the lawn, the relief of the site. And the cost of the seeders differ.
All such agricultural devices should consist of a hopper where grass seeds are loaded, and a special cylinder that ensures their uniform distribution over the soil surface. Some machines plant seeds at a predetermined depth, and they fit into the grooves evenly. After all, if you just randomly scatter the seed material, then the grass will grow randomly, with rows of bald spots on the lawn.
The only disadvantage of using a spreader-seeder is that it does not cover the seeds with soil.
Then you will have to walk along the sown area with a garden roller. The lawn seeder is used with success for fertilizing, spreading sawdust on the beds, for spraying with nutritious, insecticidal, fungicidal solutions garden and horticultural crops. The unit is useful for adding lime to the soil, sprinkling tracks with sand in winter icy conditions. Those who use a seeder to arrange a lawn will arrange a real living carpet of herbs on their territory.
To use the planter correctly, you need to be aware of the laying steps lawn:
- A week before the autumn sowing, fertilizer is scattered over the site with a seeder. The composition of nutritional mixtures includes a certain amount of phosphorus, potassium. Nitrogen-containing dressings are used in a little, since they contribute to the active growth of green mass, which is harmful before the onset of cold weather.
- The purchased high-quality grass mixture seeds are prepared taking into account the area of the territory. A kilogram of seeds will be enough for one hundred square meters. To increase the vitality of the seed, it is treated with fungicidal preparations.A mixture of meadow bluegrass, red and common fescue, white bent grass, perennial ryegrass is best suited for planting.
- The seed drill is used to distribute the seeds evenly over the area. In this case, the site passes first along and then across.
- To make the seeds deeper and more securely entrenched in the ground, a special roller is carried over the future lawn.
- In the spring, a spreader is used to distribute a complex of fertilizers over the surface of the future lawn.
After applying the technique, it is cleaned of dirt and dust, and stored in a room for agricultural implements.
There are two types of lawn seeders, differing in the principle of operation, the design of the mechanism. The manual device for sowing grass is indispensable for working in small areas, where the surface is uneven, with many lowlands and hillocks. The design is based on a hopper for loading seeds. At the bottom there is a metering roller. Its fleecy brushes prevent excess seeds from falling out of the box. The operator, who increases or decreases the size of the metering hole, should regulate the amount of planting material and fertilizer granules.
It is easy and simple to operate the manual mechanism by pushing the device forward by rotating the control knob. The disadvantage of this technique is that the shaft is often clogged with seed due to ineffective metering adjustment. And many manual seeders can plant seeds by moving the unit forward.
The economical types of equipment include a seeder with a mechanical type of control. It will help to process a large area of the territory, but only if its surface is flat. The mechanical structure functions in the same way as the manual one. But, pushing the unit forward, you do not need to adjust the handle. With a simple push of a button, seed spreading is started or stopped.
According to the principle of operation, rotary-type units and precision sowing units are produced.
Apparatus of the first type scatter seeds at a certain distance, therefore, herbs do not always grow densely with such seeders. But then all the seed material will be distributed on the surface of the soil. Seeders with precision seeding plant grains next to each other, and the grass, as it grows, covers the area evenly, clearly. Convenient seeder wheels serve for a long time, as they are made of plastic and coated with an anti-corrosion compound. When sowing a lawn with a mechanical device, the seeds fall in a given direction, so their consumption is reduced many times.
Professional devices include seeders in the form of a trailer for agricultural machinery - mini-tractors, cultivators. They are best used to create soccer fields, golf courses covered with a green carpet of grass. Lawn planter manufacturers provide their customers with a wide range of necessary equipment.
The following models of lawn seeders are popular with summer residents:
- The Wolf-Garten WE-B manual seeder is appreciated for its easy handling. With it, you can quickly sow large areas, up to 750 square meters. The device is powered by batteries, it is lightweight and easy to operate.
- Gardena Classic 300 has a sowing width of forty-five centimeters. The plastic wheels of the device run easily over the surface of the site, scattering the grain as it moves forward. The seed cart holds up to ten kilograms of planting material or fertilizer.
- The Wolf-Garten WE-300 seeder brand belongs to the simplest wheel designs. The light weight of the device allows it to be stored suspended in a shed. The sowing width of the unit is just over forty centimeters.
- The Brigadier rotary seeder has an adjustable hole diameter at the bottom of the seed box. At the same time, grass grains are evenly distributed over the soil surface.
All presented models were developed by German engineers, they are easy to operate, they are indispensable for farmers, summer residents, helping them in heavy agricultural work.
An economical option of a seeder is a device that you can make yourself using various materials: sheet steel, suitable for the size of the shaft, small plastic wheels, small diameter pipes for making handles.
Before starting the collection of inventory, a number of operations are performed related to the preparation of material and tools for construction.
The manufacturing process takes place in several stages:
- The iron sheet is cut out by welding, making a special hopper for pouring seeds. Its peculiarity is a gradual narrowing downward and the presence of ears for connection with the handles of the device. You can pick up a plastic container as a bunker.
- At the bottom of the hopper there should be a hole with a shaft, special notches of which must capture the seeds from the hopper.
- In order for the shaft to rotate, it is connected to the wheels.
- At the end of the work, one or two handles from the pipes are welded to the device, the device is installed on the wheels.
A simpler model of a seeder is made by picking up a box made of plexiglass or plastic with holes four millimeters in diameter. It can be even easier to take a plastic bottle or can, make holes and put it on the wheels from the children's bike. Only the hopper will be at the top and the seeds will be able to pass through the holes made around the circumference of the bottle. It is better to make the interval between them in two centimeters, then the sowing of the grass will be denser, and the lawn will look dense.
Any summer resident, at least a little engaged in design, will be able to build a device useful for arranging the territory of a suburban area for creating a lawn.
More information can be found in the video: