Grape variety Victor: advantages and features of cultivation
Grapes have been cultivated for thousands of years, and there are a myriad of varieties bred by both professional botanists and amateur gardeners. Among the latter is the Victor grape variety - a table hybrid, which was obtained by crossing the Talisman and Radiant Kishmish varieties. The breeding work was carried out by V.N.Krainov, and the resulting variety was named after him. Thanks to its large fruits and high yield, the variety is widespread.
The grapes are grown for thousands of years, and there are a myriad of varieties bred by both professional botanists and amateur gardeners. Among the latter is the Victor grape variety - this is a table hybrid, which was obtained by crossing the Talisman and Radiant Kishmish varieties. The breeding work was carried out by V.N.Krainov, and the resulting variety was named after him.
Thanks to its large fruits and high yield, the variety is widespread.
Variety Victor refers to early ripening, it takes only 100-105 days for the fruit to fully ripen. It is more suitable for warm regions, but at the same time, gardeners distinguish it with good frost-resistant qualities... In a number of regions, it does not even have to be closed for the winter, as it calmly tolerates a drop in temperature.
This hybrid variety has the following features:
- The hybrid differs from other varieties in its high growth rate of shoots, the vine grows quickly and ripens well. At the same time, it is important to carry out correct pruning in time for maximum fruiting.
- This variety has very large berries, the length of which can reach 6 cm and weight - 14 g. They are distinguished by a pleasant harmonious taste and fleshy pulp. The bunches look very beautiful, their good presentation provided them with high demand.
- Victor grapes are resistant to fungal diseases and various pests; wasps do not damage the berries.
These and some other qualities have made the variety one of the most popular in various regions. Amateur breeders continue their work, and now even more frost-resistant varieties have been bred, which are grown in the Belgorod and Voronezh regions.
Most important period for the vine - spring, when the plant wakes up from sleep, and active sap flow begins. The vines are freed from the winter shelter at the end of April after the snow melts, while the bunches are placed on the trellis. Bunches of shoots are untied after freezing, fruit branches are placed in the lower part of the trellis.
Victor is a disease-resistant variety, but if a disease struck the vines last year, they are treated with special preparations in the spring.
- Young seedlings are planted in the soil in mid-April, and since the vines grow quickly and vigorously, it is important to form the bush correctly.
- Excess shoots are cut off several times, this will allow you to get the best yield from the rest of the vine.
- Summer care consists in regularly pinching the vine, as it should not rise above 1.7 meters.
- In the middle of summer, when the bunches begin to ripen, you need to cut off those leaves that prevent the sun's rays from reaching the berries.
- Top dressing is carried out several times in the first half of summer: for this, mullein is used in the amount of 2 kilograms per bucket of water, 50 grams of wood ash and 30 grams of superphosphate.
- In the fall, after harvesting, top dressing is carried out again, since the plant has spent a lot of effort to produce fruits.
- Before the start of the cold season, the bushes are cut and bent to the ground, after which they are covered with spruce branches or other materials.
Growing grapes is a whole art that has been perfected over the centuries.
For getting richer harvest from a vine of the Victor variety, you can use several tricks that have long been worked out by experienced gardeners:
- A good seedling for planting should have at least 76 leaves. At the same time, you should not rush to buy planting material: the best seedlings are offered not earlier than May.
- In the first year, young and strong shoots can bloom immediately. All bunches, except one, are removed, otherwise the plant will be weakened, and the time of real fruiting will slow down.
- After watering, the soil under the grape bushes must be loosened, this will keep moisture in the soil longer and provide the roots with air.
- In the spring it is necessary be sure to carry out katarovka - pruning dew roots, which quickly freeze out and at the same time they interfere with the formation of a permanent root system. For young bushes, catarovka is repeated during the summer.
When catarovka, the obsolete bark is carefully removed from the bush. This provides fast dew and oxygen supply to the plant cells.
The Victor grape variety is one of the unpretentious ones, since it is practically not susceptible to diseases and easily tolerates low temperatures. However, if you follow the recommendations of professionals, the plant will certainly repay for the attention and care shown with an excellent harvest.
Variety Victor is characterized by high yield, therefore, a large number of beautiful berries can be obtained from one vine.
More information can be found in the video.