How to grow pineapple at home: care and reproduction
You can grow pineapple regardless of the region of residence and climate. It is enough to buy pineapple in the store and carry out simple manipulations.
- Choosing a pineapple for growing, preparing the outlet
- Rooting the top, pineapple care
- Reproduction of pineapple
Choosing a pineapple for growing, preparing the outlet
Any time of the year is suitable for growing pineapple, if the room is warm and there is enough sunlight. If the region is not in warm climatic zone, it is better to plant pineapples by the end of spring or summer.
To grow pineapple from the fruit, you need its top, it is also called a crown or rosette. A new plant will be grown from it.
Secrets of growing pineapple:
- First you need to choose a pineapple suitable for growing. Arriving at the supermarket, you need to choose a ripe fruit. The leaves should be healthy, that is, green, not brown or yellow. They must be firm and firm.
- The fruit must be ripe. You do not need to take pineapple with green peel, it should be yellow-golden in color.
- Overripe pineapple will also not work. To determine this factor, you need to move one sheet. It should not quickly return to its original position.
- Pineapple does not always take root and begins to grow. In order not to waste time in vain, it is better to take several fruits. There are a lot of dishes with pineapple, so it won't go to waste. If all the fruits sprout, then it will be possible to present them to relatives or friends.
- Below the leaves should not have any prominent gray or brown spots. This is a sign that the pineapple is infested with insects.
- The top must be carefully trimmed without touching the flesh. If the pulp gets in, it can provoke rotting of the rest of the plant. The knife with which the socket will be cut must be sharp so as not to damage the core in any way.
- There should be not many leaves at the top. The lower leaves are removed, that is, a few centimeters of the bare trunk remains. Now this part of the pineapple is set aside in fresh air to dry out a little.
- After 3 days, the top of the pineapple is placed in water. It should not fall, the water will cover the fruit only a couple of centimeters. Now you need to wait for the roots to appear.
- Air must pass freely into the container with water. The roots will appear in about two weeks. For the process to be successful, the vessel is set aside in a dry place where little sunlight falls. The procedure is similar to transplanting cacti, the base should dry out a little.
Rooting the top, pineapple care
Further, the socket can be transplanted into the ground for rooting. The diameter of the pot should be larger than the diameter of the pineapple, but not significantly.
Any drainage is laid at the bottom of the pot, for example, expanded clay. For growing pineapple at home, any general-purpose soil from the store will work. You need to immediately choose a place where the future plant will develop, since it does not like a change in environment and conditions. You can prepare the soil yourself.
It will include:
The listed components must be taken in the same proportions. The rosette is transplanted no earlier than a year later, when the plant begins to develop.As it grows, the pineapple will also need to be transplanted into fresh soil and a larger pot, but not too often.
If the plant has already faded, then it is no longer transplanted, only daughter sockets. The neutrality of the soil should be equal to 4.5-5.0. Another type of soil that works for pineapple is mix for orchids.
To grow pineapple at home, the temperature must be kept at least 20 degrees.
Due to its origin, the plant loves warmth and sun. In summer, the pineapple pot is moved to the south side of the room; in winter, additional lighting with fluorescent lamps is necessary.
In winter, the temperature can be 15 degrees, but not less. The optimum temperature is between 16-18 degrees. The first fruits on homemade pineapple will appear in about 4 years. Depending on the conditions, this period may increase or decrease. The ripening period of one fruit is 6 months. When they appear, you need to stop fertilizing and disturb the tree. If the plant does not continue to grow as actively, organic fertilizers can be used. The minerals are temporarily abandoned.
When the fruiting period has passed, the plant will sprout and die for the next two or three years.
New shoots can also be rooted and more trees can be obtained. They will take root much faster than from the outlet and the fruits will appear earlier. Pineapple loves moisture. It is periodically sprayed. This is especially important if batteries are running in the room.
Top dressing and watering pineapple:
- Watering is carried out directly into the outlet. Two-thirds of the outlet is filled with water at room temperature. In the warm season, during the period of active growth, the water in the outlet should be constantly. After about a month, it can be removed from there and replaced with a fresher one.
- In spring and summer twice top dressing is applied per month... A special fertilizer is purchased that is suitable for all plants of the bromeliad family. It is diluted in water and is also introduced into the outlet.
- In winter, pineapple is very rarely watered, this is done once a week. So that the water does not contribute to the rotting of the leaves, it is added to the water.
Reproduction of pineapple
You can propagate pineapple in other ways. There are three of them:
If the first option is suitable for everyone, then the subsequent ones are more difficult. Finding seeds or a growing tree is more difficult. The side shoots are cut from the pineapple immediately after the roots appear. It has already been mentioned that after flowering, the plant dies, so you need to cut off the shoots before the pineapple has bloomed.
Basal shoots appear before flowering, usually no more than three. They are cut with a sharp knife when they reach a length of at least 20 cm. The cut is charcoal and left to dry in the fresh air.
Since pineapple is not often grown at home, it is recommended to add a stimulant to the charcoal.
Start rooting only when the slices heal. Otherwise, the escape can rot. To begin with, the shoots are planted in the ground. The mixture is composed in this way: sod land is laid out on the bottom, then leafy earth, humus and sand. No need to mix the components, everything is laid out in layers.
Some growers practice rooting side shoots in loose mixtures with the addition of sand. You also need to monitor the temperature of the soil, it should be at least 25 degrees.
The shoots in the pot are covered with foil. In this case, the film should not touch the plant. The film will help diffuse sunlight, trapping moisture and heat.
The first roots can be seen only after a few months, so you need to be patient. The plant should be periodically "tasted", the film should be removed for a few minutes for airing, and the soil moisture should be maintained.
When rooting occurs, several young leaves will appear. Now you can transplant the plant into a separate pot. It is important not to forget about good drainage.Flowering will not come earlier than in three years.
Pineapple can also be propagated by seeds:
- The matter is complex, but quite real. They do not need to be purchased at the store, but are extracted directly from the pulp of the fruit. The seeds are washed with a solution of potassium permanganate and dried.
- The seed substrate is prepared from the following components: leafy earth, peat, sand. The seeds go a couple of centimeters deep. After that, the container is covered with foil or glass.
- Pineapples can be transplanted into separate pots when they reach a height of 6 cm. Further, the same care is carried out as in the previous case.
Growing an exotic plant at home is not that difficult. Pineapples are not only beautiful, but also very healthy.
More information can be found in the video.