The most popular climbing plants for summer cottages
For a gardener, you can always find something interesting and unusual. To create an atmosphere on your site, you can approach creatively, like painting a picture. So it is possible to create unique landscape objects and decorative design of the territory. Climbing plants are one of the valuable tools in this work.
- Climbing plants - what are they?
- Popular annuals and perennials
- Exotic climbing plants
- How and where you can use climbing plants in the country
The peculiarity of climbing plants lies in the very name of the variety. These climbing plants look especially advantageous for fencing. Practical use of them as a gardener's tool allows you to form universal design elements. The popularity of climbing species is due to the solution with their help several tasks at once:
- Decorative task. With these plants, you can create various options for "green" fences, which are suitable for both small fences and large fences.
- Camouflage. By properly distributing vegetation, you can create an effective camouflage fence with which you can hide unsightly objects.
- Shelter. Climbing plants quickly spread across the territory, cover walls and fences, rapidly rising along vertical surfaces.
A wide selection of plant varieties allows you to select the best solutions for a specific object. They are actively used to create various landscape compositions.
Annual varieties of climbing plants are used to form flower beds of different sizes, as well as for sowing compositions that are located at different levels. These plants are capable of rapidly increasing their mass and size, which allows them to quickly create unusual natural decorations.
Especially interesting is the multilevel buildings made of flower trays. Climbing plants creep effectively and cover new spaces. Carefully designed and composed compositions are composed of flowering vines and other species.
Perennial plants provide the gardener with an excellent solution to issues with the decorative design of the summer cottage.
One of the most popular plant species among climbing representatives is climbing rose... This species has many varieties, which in some cases reach unusual and even unexpected colors. This variety allows you to create numerous combinations for every taste.
Growing perennial climbing plants is not difficult and is available even to a novice gardener. It is enough just to plant the seeds in a lighted place, in a slightly prepared and fertilized soil. Periodic watering will lead to active development and growth, and the plant will reach a fairly large size in the shortest possible time.
The only thing that a gardener who has taken up the cultivation of a climbing rose has to do is prepare the bush for the winter period. So, you will need to cut off some branches and create additional shelter from the cold.The popular perennial climbing rose usually blooms in June and lasts about 1 month. The rest of the time, the bush is distinguished by dense and rich foliage, which is so prized in landscape design.
Some species, like New Down, bloom throughout the summer. In the process of development, long three-meter branches are formed, which are abundantly dotted with pink flowers. This flowering takes place especially brightly and beautifully in those areas where there is sufficient lighting. In addition to the mentioned climbing rose, gardeners are often used for decorative work. clematis.
Perennial clematis have characteristic star-shaped flowers that begin to bloom in the first days of summer and remain in bloom for almost the entire summer.
The formed flowers densely cover the branches and fill the bush with a wide variety of shades. In their development, clematis require fertile soil and uniform constant lighting. This is how the growth process takes place organically and a large and beautiful plant is formed. If, in the process of growing clematis, you follow the rules for cutting branches and constantly monitor the condition of the bush, then flowering can last until frost.
For lovers of climbing perennial plants, there are now many different species that tolerate cold snaps quite calmly, maintaining strength and continuing to develop. Among such specimens, the following are especially popular:
- Long-flowering "Ballerina" with special white flowers.
- "Nelly Moser", the petals of which have a pale pink tint.
- "Nikolay Rubtsov", the petals of which can be recognized by the special frames on the petals - the so-called "flower within a flower" effect.
Among the perennial climbing plants there are "favorites", which are especially loved by gardeners and designers. Among these types, it is worth highlighting the Chinese wisteria... In its development, this species can reach about 20 meters in length. In summer, the bush is decorated with bunches of purple flowers and their characteristic fruit aroma. The branches of the bush are originally twisted clockwise.
Japanese wisteria has distinctive properties that are expressed in growth up to 10 meters and also twists around a certain support in a clockwise direction.
Liana Kampsis appreciated for its resistance to frost and the ability to preserve flowers until autumn. Bright orange flowers cover the bush in mid-June and remain on it for a long period. These miniature "gramophone" are a distinctive feature of the plant. Liana has excellent resistance to gas pollution and smoke, which stimulates interest in it in the landscape design of urban areas. In the course of its development, the vine grows rapidly and can gradually conquer territory from other plants. With timely pruning of branches and fertilization, the kut can maintain its compact shape and neat appearance for a long time.
To decorate the fence of the site and form a unique natural fence, they are often used honeysuckle... It is unpretentious and has an interesting aesthetic appearance. Honeysuckle grows well in a lighted area, but it is able to ensure harmonious development in a darkened area. Completely unpretentious to the soil, honeysuckle when applied in moderation organic fertilizers shows particularly strong growth.
There are incredibly many varieties of climbing plants that are used in the design of the site. Gardeners are constantly experimenting with both well-known species and continue to experiment with unusual, and sometimes frankly exotic species.
Among them are many options with unique features:
- Morning glory or farbitis is an unusual climbing plant with large funnel-shaped flowers that vary widely in color (blue, crimson, pink, purple).In the second half of summer, morning glory blossoms, which retains the formed flowers until the first autumn cold snaps and frosts. At the same time, gardeners especially appreciate the huge diameter of a developed bush, which can reach 5 meters.
- Cardiospermum is not widely known. This annual ornamental plant has one characteristic that stimulates interest in it from experienced gardeners. The bush has a unique leaf shape that resembles neat lace. This carved foliage allows you to create unique configurations in any environment.
- Heat-loving plants of the species kobei germinate very quickly, but are among the annual varieties. For 1 season, kobei branches can reach 5 meters and form a real airy green carpet. The plant usually blooms in the second half of summer and development continues until the first frost. Usually, the entire crown of the tree is covered with peculiar large flowers in the form of bells. Initially, the flowers are greenish, but gradually turn white or purple.
- Winged tunbergia is also a thermophilic perennial plant. Despite its perennial nature, the shrub is most often grown as an annual type. The plant has a long flowering period and is perfect for decorative decoration of various objects.
Climbing plants are used to create a natural stylish design of the territory. They are used to decorate not only natural objects, such as trees, which look spectacular when overgrown with such climbing bushes. Compositions in which the bush is overgrown with buildings and various structures look especially interesting.
They are also used to create unique natural fences. The features of large-scale bushes allow you to fantasize and come up with new options for using plants in landscape design.
More information can be found in the video: